TOEFL聽力最常考的50個英文句型

1)take a rain check改天吧
  Model: [1998.8.北美(29)]
  ──Can you come over for dinner tonight? (今天晚上來吃飯好嗎?)
  ──I’m up to my ears in work, so I’ll have to take a rain check.(我工作很忙,改日吧。)
    2)lost count弄不清楚
  Model: [2000.1.(21)]
  ──Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are always driving there. How many trips a week do you make anyway?(自從你的女友搬到Bridgeport,你老是開車去看她。一周去幾次啊?)
  ──I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyes closed.(搞不清楚了,但我閉著眼也能摸過去。)
    3)be in another world精神恍惚;魂不守舍
  Model: [1996.5.(25)]
  ──Pete’s really out of it these days.(Pete這幾天有點心不在焉。)
  ──Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he’s been in another world.(我同意。自從他遇見Ann,他就魂不守舍了。)
    4)make yourself at home隨意,隨便
  Model: [1999.8.(7)]
  ──Do you mind if I take off my jacket?(你介意我脫下夾克嗎?)
  ──Of course not, make yourself at home.(當然不介意,隨意一點﹗)
   5)save your breath省口氣吧;別白費口舌了
  Model: [1995.10.(14)]
  ──Hey? John! John!(嘿,John! John!)
  ──Save your breath. He’s out of earshot.(省口氣吧。他已經聽不到了。)
  6)make sense有意義,理解   Model: [1999.1.(29)]
  ──The plot of that movie is hard to follow.(那部電影的情節很難跟得上。)
  ──It makes more sense the second time.(再看一遍就理解了。)
  7)cost sb. an arm and a leg非常昂貴
  Model: [1999。1。(4)]
  ──Did you see the diamond ring Bill gave to Linda?(你看到Bill送給Linda的鑽戒了嗎?)
  ──I sure did. It must have cost him an arm and a leg.(當然了。那一定很昂貴。)
  8) burn a hole in one’s pocket很快地被花光
  Model: [1997.10 ]
  ──Have you saved enough to buy that new printer for your computer yet? (你攢足錢給你的電腦買一台新印表機了嗎?)
  ──You know money seems to be burning a hole in my pocket lately . Maybe next month. (這幾個月我花錢如流水。也許下個月吧。)
  9)fill one’s shoes很好地頂替;令人滿意地替代
  Model: [1997.8.]
  ──Have you heard that Professor Jones is retiring? (你聽說Jones教授要退休了嗎?)
  ──Yes. The faculty won’t find anyone to fill her shoes. (是的。學校將很難找到合適的人來代替她。)
   10)is ice cold表示理所當然
  Model: [1995.10.]
  ──Does Prof. Ford always come to class? (Ford教授總是來上課嗎?)
  ──Is ice cold? (當然了。)
  11)like apples and oranges用來表示無法相比的事物
  Model: [1997.1.]
  ──Which game do you think is more difficult to learn, chess or bridge?(你認為橋牌和象棋哪個更難學?)
  ──They are like apples and oranges. (它倆沒法比較。)
  12)look for a needle in a hay stack大海撈針
  Model: [1990.1.]
  ──We are supposed to meet John here at the train station. (我們要在火車站接John。)
  ──That’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack .(那可真是大海撈針。)
  13)lose one’s train of忘記
  Model: [1995.1.]
  ──When you interrupted me, you made me lose my train of thought. (你打斷了我的思考,我忘記我在想什麼了。)
  14)meet each other half way相互妥協,讓步
  Model: [1992.8.]
  ──My chemistry project is in trouble because my partner and I had totally different ideas about how to proceed. (我的化學課題出問題了。在進展問題上,我與我的合作者意見完全不同。)
  ──You should try to meet each other half way. (你們應該相互妥協。)
   15)on the dot準時;正點
  Model: [1992.8.]
  ──Did you and Amanda really meet exactly five minutes to two in front of the theatre? (你和Amanda確實在差5分兩點的時候到達劇院門口了嗎?)
  ──Yes, we were both there on the dot. (是的,我倆都準點到達。)
  16)once and for all最後一次;干脆
  Model: [1996.1.]
  ──I am going to tell that neighbor of mine to turn down that music once and for all.(我要最後一次告訴我那個鄰居把音樂聲關小。)
  ──I see why you are angry. But I’ve always found that the polite route is the most effective. (我明白你為什麼惱火。但我總覺得禮貌的模式是最有效的。)
  17)out of earshot不在聽力所及範圍
  Model: [1995.10.]
  ──Hey? John! John! (嗨! John! John! )
  ──Save your breath. He’s out of earshot.(省口氣吧,他聽不見。)
  18)out of this world非常好
  Model: [1995.10.]
  ──Have you tried Susan’s apple pie?(你試過Susan的蘋果派嗎?)
  ──I got the last piece. And it was out of this world. (我拿到最後一塊。好吃極了。)
  19)play by ear隨機應變,視情形而定
  Model: [1989.8.]
  ──Marty, are you doing anything special for your presentation in political science tomorrow? (Marty,你在為明天的政治學演講準備與眾不同的材料嗎?)
  ──Not really, because the class so often turns into a discussion, I’ve decided to play it by ear. (不。那門課常常最後變成討論。我決定視情形而定。)
  20) ring a bell令人想起某件事;聽起來耳熟
  Model: [1992.10.]
  ──That name just doesn’t ring a bell with me. (那個名字我一點也不熟。)
  21)share a common outlook有共同的觀點
  Model: [1991.1.]
  ──Jeff and Alan share a common outlook on life. (Jeff和Alan對于生活有共同的觀點。)
  22)six of one and half-a-dozen of the other半斤八兩;沒什麼區別
  Model: [1989.1.]
  ──I can’t decide whether to take anthropology or geology this term. (我決定不了這學期是選人類學還是地理課。)
  ──It’s six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. (兩門無甚差別。)
  23)stick around在附近逗留或等待
  Model: [1995.5.]
  ──Leaving the party so soon? We’re just getting ready to cut the cake. (這么早就要走?我們剛準備要切蛋糕。)
  ──Sorry, I can’t stick around. (對不起,我不能繼續待在這兒了。)
  24)stick with繼續做,堅持
  Model: [1996.8.]
  ──I wonder what this new flavor of ice cream tastes like? (我想知道這種新的冰激凌是什麼味道?)
  ──I tried it last week. If I were you, I would stick with an old favorite. (上周我吃過,若我是你,我會繼續吃以前愛吃的那種。)
  25)straighten out扯平;結清
  Model: [1996.1.]
  ──I almost forgot. I still owe you ten dollars from the other night. Do you have change for a twenty? (我差點忘了。不久前的一個晚上我借了你10塊錢,到現下還沒還呢,你現下能找開20元的嗎?)
  ──Oh, not at the moment. Let’s just straighten it out some other time. (哦,現下不能。以後再結清吧。)
    26)toss and turn(身體)翻來覆去(通常表示難以入睡)
  Model: [1993.1.]
  ──Last night I tossed and turned in bed, too exhausted to sleep. (昨晚我輾轉反側,怎么也睡不著。)
   27)turn one’s back (在別人遇到困難時)不愿幫助
  Model: [1990.10.]
  ──He’ll turn his back on me if I ask for money. (我若向他借錢,他就會不理我。)
  28)under the weather身體不適,生病
  Model: [1996.10.(26)]
  ──It’s good to see you, Mary. How have you been? (看見你真高興,Mary。你好嗎?)
  ──Actually I have been feeling under the weather recently. (其實這兩天我身子不大舒服。)
  29)bite off more than one can chew貪多嚼不爛;心有余而力不足;不自量力;力不從心
  Model:
  ──I hear you’ve been taking an advanced physics course this semester. How’s it going? (我聽說這學期你在上高等物理課。這門課怎么樣?)
  ──I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. (我是心有余而力不足啊。)
  30)break new ground創新
  Model:
  ──His architectural design broke new ground in the field. (他的建築設計是這個領域裡的創新。)
  31)do the trick做成功;達到理想的結果
  Model:
  ──I’ve been trying to get the furnace started, but I can’t find the right switch. (我盡力想讓爐子燃起來,可不知道該按哪個鍵。)
  ──Here, I believe this one in the back will do the trick. (這裡,我相信后面按這個鍵,可以讓爐子燃起來。)
  32)drag one’s feet行動緩慢;磨磨蹭蹭不情願
  Model:
  ──How’s Bob coming along on his dissertation proposal?(Bob的論文計劃進展地怎么樣了?)                      ──He’s really been dragging his feet. (他很磨蹭的。)
  33)draw the line拒絕,拒不容忍
  Model:
  ──Paul expects me to clean the room every week. (Paul想讓我每周打掃房間。)
  ──That’s where I draw the line. (可是我絕對不會答應的。)
  34)feel down in the dumps心情不好;情緒低落
  Model:
  ──Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment. (Kate為最近的化學作業成績感到很沮喪。)
  35)few and far between不多;少而分散的;不常碰到或發現的;稀少的
  Model:
  ──Steve is really a terrific guy. (Steve真是不簡單。)
  ──He sure is. Ones like him are few and far between. (當然。像他那樣的人可不多見。)
  36)fit as a fiddle身體很健康
  Model:
  ──Harry! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages. (Harry,你好嗎?好久沒看見你了。)
  ──I’m fit as a fiddle. This exercise program I’m following is terrific. (我身體好極了。我正進行的這個鍛鍊計畫太棒了。)
  37)grin and bear任勞任怨;毫無怨言地忍受
  Model:
  ──Carla,I can’t take this job any longer. (Carla,我不能再做這份工作了。)
  ──If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. (如果你需要錢,你就得忍耐。)
  38)hit the spot(特指吃了食物,喝了飲料之后)精神完全恢復過來或感到滿足;恢復精力;提精神
  Model:
  ──This Lemonade sure hits the spot.(檸檬汁太提神了。)
  ──And how! (當然了﹗)
  39)keep between the two of us不讓第三者知道,守密
  Model:
  ──What I’m going to say is rather personal, so let’s keep between the two of us. (我要講的純屬私事,所以希望你能守密。)
  40)know a thing or two about略知一二
  Model:
  ──Do you think Andy could help us plan the camping trip to West Virginia? (你認為Andy會幫我們計畫去西維吉妮亞州野營嗎?)
  ──Well, since he spends every summer there, he might know a thing or two about it. (可能吧。他每個夏天都去那兒,應該知道一些事兒。)
  41)leave no stone unturned不遺余力;全力以赴
  Model:
  ──Lynn left no stone unturned in her research, and handed in an excellent paper. (Lynn全力以赴做她的研究,交了一篇優秀的論文。)
  42)on cloud nine沈浸在福祉之中;非常高興
  Model:
  ──Marcia looks like she’s on cloud nine. Do you know what made her so happy? (Marcia好像沈浸在福祉之中。你知道她為什麼這么高興嗎?)
  ──She just had a paper accepted for publication. (她有一篇文章要發表了。)
  43)on the tip of one’s tongue一時想不起來,話到嘴邊又忘記
  Model:
  ──Are you sure you can’t remember the name of that record? (你肯定記不起來那張唱片的名字嗎?)
  ──It’s just on the tip of my tongue! (我就是一時想不起來了。)
  44)reach the bottom of the barrel用完,彈盡糧絕
  Model:
  ──Don’t you have any other clean shirts? (你還有其它乾淨襯衫嗎?)
  ──I guess I’ve reached the bottom of the barrel. (我想我已經用完了。)
  45)rub sb. the wrong way使(某人)有點惱火;惹怒;引起反感;煩擾,打攪
  Model:
  ──What do you think of our new economics instructor? (你覺得新經濟學老師怎么樣?)
  ──I don’t know. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. (不知怎么的,他有點讓我反感。)
  46)scratch the surface只懂皮毛,很不了解(通常和限制性副詞如only, hardly等詞連用)
  Model:
  ──You’ve certainly done a lot of research for your project.(你顯然對你的課題做了不少研究。)
  ──It seems like a lot, but actually I’ve only scratched the surface. (看上去不少,但事實上我只懂一些毛皮。)
  47)up in the air尚未決定的;捉摸不定的;懸而未決的
  Model:
  ──Her plans for the weekend are still up in the air. (她尚未決定如何度過這個週末。)
  48)wear and tear磨損;消耗
  Model:
  ──Why do you always put on slippers when you go into your apartment? (為什麼你老是一進公寓就穿上拖鞋?)
  ──It saves wear and tear on the carpet. (拖鞋不磨損地毯。)
  49)with flying colors大獲全勝;勝利地
  Model:
  ──How did Ellen do on her Ancient History exam? (Ellen古代史考得怎么樣?)                                 ──She passed with flying colors. (她考得好極了。)
  50)get off on the wrong foot開始就不順利;一開始就犯了個錯誤
  Model: [1995.5.]
  ──I hate to get off on the wrong foot. (我討厭一開始就犯錯誤。)
  51)get on someone’s nerves使人不安,使人心煩
  Model: [1996.8.]
  ──Why did you come to the meeting late? I left a message with your roommate about the time change. (為什麼你開會遲到?我讓你的同屋告訴你改時 間的事了。)
  ──She has a very short memory and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. (她記性不好,有時真讓我心煩。)
  52)give someone a break不要去管,饒了某人吧
  Model: [1994.5.]
  ──Give me a break. I’m nervous enough as it is. (不要管我,我已經夠緊張了。)
  53)head and shoulders above(在…方面)強于某人
  Model: [1991.10.]
  ──In computer programming, Susan is head and shoulders above the rest of us.(在計算機編程上,Susan比我們強。)
  54)in the red赤字,負債
  Model: [1996.5.]
  ──So far the clubs are about three hundred dollars in the red, and we still have four months to go before membership renewal. (到目前為止,俱樂部有300元赤字,然而還有4個月才到交會員費的時 間。)
  ──Well, we may have to raise our dues.(那么,我們必須提升會員費了。)
  55)in the dark一無所知;不了解情況
  Model: [1994.1.]
  ──Do you have any idea what this notice is about? (你知道這通知講的是什麼嗎?)
  ──I’m as in the dark as you are.(我也跟你一樣不了解情況。)